Monday, April 12, 2010

Sammy Davis



This past weekend my service academy participated in the JSACWC competition, a combat weapons teams competition for all the service academies. It was probably the most enjoyable competition I've been in in years, I really had a blast. There were 8 stages of combined rifle (m16), pistol (baretta m9) and shotgun courses. The best part of the competition, however, was Sammy Davis. If you have never heard of Sammy Davis, he is the medal of honor recipient who's story was used in creating Forest Gump. Sammy Davis was in attendance at the competition, and I had the opportunity to shake his hand a few times, talk with him some, and take pictures with him (of course). What an amazing guy, I am truly honored to have gotten to meet him and hear his story. Here's a link to the wikipedia page dedicated to him, although it doesn't do him justice: Sammy Davis

All in all, the competition went great. We didn't place very high compared to our competitors, but then again we are severely underfunded compared to them. We're sporting standard issue M16s (except for the team members who bought their own guns and equipment) whereas Army were firing customized M4s with $1000 ACOG sights. No comparison there, really. Regardless, I was really just going for the experience, and in that regard I measure the competition to be a huge success. And as an added bonus, we all got prizes. For me it was a new pair of Oakley shooting glasses, a one-point sling for my rifle (which I had been looking to buy), a gun cleaning kit, and various other prizes. One person on our team got a new rifle, Aimoint sights, and a super nice ACOG setup that he can put on his competition rifle. Pretty amazing stuff. I can't wait until next year!

-Storm

No comments:

Post a Comment