Monday, February 14, 2011

RIP Charmaine Cherry

Yesterday a close family friend passed away as a result of pancreatic cancer. Charmaine Cherry, a native Hawaiian, was one of the most exuberant individuals I have ever met. She wasn't much older than my mom, yet had four grown children and many grandchildren, many of whom I have met. It's hard to describe just how much someone like Charmaine can impact one's life. I'll always have many memories of our family's time with hers, but the one I always remember first is from the last time I saw her.

Being a friend of my moms and just an extraordinary person in general, she volunteered to assist my mom in the preparations for my high school graduation. I was homeschooled, so graduation meant a 45 minute piano concert followed by speeches, farewells (since I was leaving for the military), blessings, shared memories, and then a large reception for all of the guests. Needless to say, the entire operation is a huge undertaking. Charmaine, out of the goodness of her heart, stayed up with my mother through the entire night before my graduation. They made fruit dish after fruit dish, deli platters, cracker bowls, everything you can imagine. She stayed up all night before the graduation and didn't think a thing about it - that's just who she was.

After the piano and speeches part of my graduation, she came up to me excited as usual, completely blown away by the performance (or so she said), gave me a huge hug which she swore was the best she had ever had, and draped a Hawaiian style wreath around my head! It was made from plastic wrap, candies, and $1 bills crinkled up into small fans, and I know it had to have taken a long time to make. She was so energetic that I had no idea she stayed up all night helping my mom. In fact, it wasn't until yesterday that I even heard that story.

Charmaine Cherry, you were an example and inspiration to us all, you are already missed! I'm thankful you are in a better place now but the selfishness of my heart wishes you had stuck around for a while longer.

Please keep the Cherry family in your prayers.

-Storm

3 comments:

  1. You very well may have heard of them. I'm not sure where in Hawaii they're from, but I know she still had a lot of family there and visited them from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Storm, that was a very nice story you shared about Charmaine. My name is Ralph Mertens and I am married to one of Charmaine's sisters, Bernie Ku'uipo. I found your blog because one of Charmaine's daughters, Haunani, googled her mom's name and found your site. Charmaine was indeed very special, and together we can rejoice that she is in the presence of our Saviour and Lord. May you continue to serve Him. By the way, Charmaine's maiden name is Laimana and most of her family is from the Big Island as well as Oahu. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, thank you so much for commenting! I never would have thought this entry would have been read by anyone who is familiar with Charmaine! I am sorry for your loss, but I am happy that you can find solace in the fact that she is now in a much better place. May the Lord continue to use your family as a lighthouse to others in their personal life storms.
    -Storm

    ReplyDelete