Monday, February 28, 2011

Summer, the last pieces

I found out what operational unit I'm going to this summer, as well as which phases will be what. For the first phase (half-ish) of my summer I'll be going to Guam and will be attached to our unit there, and then I'll go to Sandia National Lab in NM. I was bummed with the news that Sandia was second phase, as that means I will be missing Shane's wedding. Perhaps if the operational unit had been one closer to Texas I could have made it, but with it being on the other side of the world it is not a possibility. The silver lining, though, is that if I'm going to be forced to miss his wedding I may as well be somewhere awesome instead, and I think Guam, if for no other reason than it is extremely isolated and rather exotic, fits the bill. Overall, I was stoked about this upcoming summer before I was assigned to Guam, but now even more than before I am excited to get this summer started!

In other news, we sign for our career stater loans tomorrow, a very large sum of money that I will owe (albeit at almost negligible interest). So crazy, the time has truly flown by. I can't believe that I will most likely be purchasing my own truck this summer. Absolute madness.

Also of interest, Ring Dance is coming up in about a month and a half. For those of you unfamiliar with service academy tradition, Ring Dance is a formal event where cadets are all dressed up in their best dinner formal attire, traditionally accompanied by dates, and are presented with their class rings during the course of an exquisite meal. After the meal there is dancing and "hanging out" in a very formal sort of way.Unfortunately, I don't know anyone outside of the Academy up here that I would like to ask as a date, and being 2200 miles from home eliminates the possibility of going with any of my good friends from home, which leaves me with two choices. Either ask someone who goes to this school or go on a blind date set up by a friend from here. The first option is almost not an option at all, there's only one person I would even consider going with (it's a long story), and I'm really hoping to exhaust all other possibilities before that. Besides, I am thinking she might already have a date. Anyway, this leaves me with the option of going on a blind date, which is also highly risky and just not something I've ever subjected myself to. It's all quite unfortunate - I really wish my school was closer to home and the people I know I can trust! Oh well, I'll get over it and figure something out. The prospect of Ring Dance in and of itself is too exciting to let this be the aspect which clouds the memory of the occasion!

Until next time
-Storm

No comments:

Post a Comment