Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Cape May, New Joisey

Tomorrow I leave for Cape May, NJ to learn how to be a drill sergeant. Now, I won't actually be drill sergeant, because drill sergeants train enlisted and I am training an incoming class of freshman at the Academy. Nevertheless, several of my friends and myself are going down to the real boot camp to learn/practice being that intense teaching/leading person that both incoming enlisted folks and incoming freshman see for about 7 weeks. I'm a bit apprehensive because I know that this is something completely new to me. Sure, I've taught people things before, and sure, I've yelled at some people in my time so far on earth but this is completely on a whole new level. Two Mondays from now, when the Swabs (incoming freshmen) drive up in the bus and I stomp on to deliver their first encounter with the military world, I will officially be part of a 7 man person team responsible for the training and military indoctrination of some 30-odd freshly graduated high school seniors. The most bizarre part of this whole ordeal, at least to me, is the fact that I was in their shoes just two summers ago. Things sure have changed and the fact that the past two years have flown by is something I don't often forget.

I know there really is no time to be reflecting on questions such as "Am I really ready for this?" or "How am I going to perform when they're all counting on me?" but at the same time I think these are questions that I must ask myself in mental preparation for this next stage of my military development. Besides all that the Academy is doing to prepare me I have decided to take a few things upon myself in anticipation of the upcoming weeks. First, I've been working out - ALOT. Secondly, I am trying to go through things in my head as much as possible. Give myself random situations and think through solutions. Finally, I realize that I must pray as much as possible. God has never failed me and I know He'll help me through this. After all, I just want to give the Swabs the best, most intense summer possible. The boot camp of any military person has the potential to influence how their entire military career goes, and I want these people to have a solid foundation.

We'll see. I have a fantastic support group, all of my peers are truly great individuals and together I bet we'll make one heck of a killer team.
If anything of note happens at Boot Camp Cape May, I'll let you know! Until next time,
-Storm

No comments:

Post a Comment