Thursday, June 10, 2010

Nav Rules, Prayers for Ms Sunderland

So, just a quick update because I'm bored: This week is the infamous ROTR week. Infamous among academy personnel, because during this week we must learn, memorize, and be able to apply the Coast Guard Navigation Rules handbook in it's entirety. This 200-odd page handbook is basically the same handbook you were told to memorize when you were learning to drive, except for shipdrivers, and it covers and contrasts rules for international waters as well as inland waters. So far it has gone well for me and I feel fairly confident that I will be able to pass the exam tomorrow. However, if I don't, I must find the time to take the exam again sometime this summer, and if I fail that one also then I am bumped to freshman liberty status, meaning I don't get to leave on Friday nights anymore, and I won't be able to wear my civilian clothes when I'm out in the city. Basically I really need to pass this exam tomorrow or else the rest of the summer goes downhill extremely fast.

But I'm pretty sure I'll pass - it's a 50 question exam and I must get a 90% or above to pass, so I should be alright.

And in other news, keep Abby Sunderland in your prayers. I never hope to find myself in a situation where I am stranded at sea, and I can only imagine what it must be like at the age of 16. But the mere fact that she is 2000 miles from land is enough to make even Spartacus tremble in his shackles. At that distance an air rescue is not even an option, and an emergency air drop of supplies isn't much better. The nearest ship is a private fishing vessel that was 40 hrs away from her position at the time when she popped her EPIRBs. At this point she is in God's hands, so pray that she has the presence of mind to stay focused on surviving. She should have all the tools she needs, and we know she has a strong will, so if she keeps her wits about her she'll make it out to spend time with her family again. Here's an article if you'd like read it: http://gizmodo.com/5560505/16%20year%20old-world%20circling-solo-sailor-lost-at-sea

-Storm

No comments:

Post a Comment