Monday, June 21, 2010

Stay Single? Sorry Paul, no can do...

So I was reading in my Bible tonight and, for no real reason in particular, decided to read 1 Corinthians 7. Now, in case you are unfamiliar with this particular chapter, Paul is basically giving guidance on marriage (you should really just read the chapter!). He talks about several things, most of which seem to be fairly common sense to me, probably because I was brought up with very Biblical parents. But in the second half of the chapter Paul springs an interesting idea on me. He says that if a person is unmarried and secure in their heart that they should not marry. At first this really struck me - I was under the impression that everyone was supposed to marry and "be fruitful and multiply". Of course, Paul gives a logical explanation. If a person is married then their efforts are split between trying to please God and trying to please their wife, as contrasted by an unmarried person who is able to fully devote themselves to God.

Interesting thought. However, he also goes on to say if a person cannot control themself and really feels the need to get married then that is completely fine. The whole celibacy thing is an added bonus though, and it makes sense because if we're truly living our lives for Jesus then the fewer "distractions" we have in our life the better.

As for me, I'm afraid I am not man enough to pull it off. Sorry Paul, one day I will be married and I am definitely looking forward to it! No hard feelings, nothing personal, but I think marriage is one of the best things God gave to us and I can't wait (well, I mean, I AM waiting, but figuratively...you know what I mean).

As a side note:
7 Days until R-Day when I take on the role of Drill Sergeant
14 Days until I fly out to Colorado (NOT my home state) to meet my family for whitewater rafting.
Somehow "excited" doesn't quite seem to accurately describe my feelings towards these two events!

-Storm

5 comments:

  1. I'm just flipping through blogs this evening and found yours. Interesting. It's not often that I come across young adult male Christians. It's nice to know they still exist. :) Have a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well thank you! Thanks for stopping by and best wishes on your travels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wryan, you have a cool blog - I like the storm theme; great picture of life, indeed! You also have a cool family. :-) I have especially enjoyed working with your mom in AWANA.

    Here's an article you might find interesting that gives an interesting perspective on Paul's words (well, the passage is not the focus, but the question of marriage vs. lifelong celibacy is):

    http://www.boundless.org/2005/articles/a0001349.cfm

    You might also be interested in the rest of Boundless.org - a great place of Biblical teaching on relationships, life, and godliness specifically aimed at us young folk. I know I've learned lots from their articles over the years!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! It seems you know me but I don't share that luxury! haha

    That article is basically what I had come to accept myself. Some of us just aren't supposed to pursue lifelong celibacy and I realize that I am one of those people. And although I'm not actually pursuing a wife at this time I most certainly will be when my military/school situation becomes more conducive to that.

    Thanks for the comment and suggested material, and good luck with your summer challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please pardon me - I didn't even introduce myself! My youngest brother Bob goes to MCA with your brother Ben, and like I said, I've got to know your mom better through working in Awana with her. So I hear your name mentioned now and then.

    Thanks - the Challenge thing is going well so far! May God give you abundant perseverance and vigor in your current manly endeavors, and richly bless you in your wife-pursuing when the time is right for that!

    ReplyDelete